Since my last update, the group has created two inventories: one for items present in each box, and the other for the items we would specifically like to scan. We’ve met four times outside of class within the past week, though I have only been able to attend two of those meetings. This week has been incredibly productive.
Today, we met in the Digital Archiving Lab to start our scans. Angie taught us file naming protocol and how to use the scanners, and we were surprised to find that the Cobra camera takes only seconds to take pictures of each item; we were initially under the impression that it would take 4 minutes per scan. Though we set out to scan 15 items today, we managed to take care of twice as many within about an hour; this means that we will be able to scan much more than we had originally anticipated. We still have to convert each image to a .png file to store on our webpage, but we may end up doing that once we’ve finished all the scans we need.