When looking through Wikipedia history and discussion pages, I noticed that there were lots of updates to each page that followed reader-suggested and fact-checked revisions. I began by looking at the “Cleopatra” page; since she is a history figure that has made her way into pop culture, there are a large number of revisions (over 500!) present on her history page. I also looked at a more niche page, (the one for the “Studio Killers” (band)) for comparison. This one only has nine revisions and one discussion point, but functions in the same way. A number, highlighted in either red or green in each revision description, lists trends in page views. Each revision can be selected, and the link brings readers to the point in the discussion board where the changes made were originally suggested. The discussion board emphasizes that it is not a forum and that it should only be used for suggestions for improvement. Different versions of each page can be compared, as well, through the history tab.
Since Digital Humanities, as a field, is meant to make historical resources easily accessible to a wide audience, I believe that our site should be available to use and re-use for free. The Creative Commons Attribute Share-Alike (CC BY-SA) License seems to be the best fit for our site, as it allows for wider information distribution and does not restrict users depending on whether they may profit on the information or not. I do not mind others using our information for profit, as it still increases potential audience and can be used for educational purposes.
Since my last update, the group has created two inventories: one for items present in each box, and the other for the items we would specifically like to scan. We’ve met four times outside of class within the past week, though I have only been able to attend two of those meetings. This week has been incredibly productive.
Today, we met in the Digital Archiving Lab to start our scans. Angie taught us file naming protocol and how to use the scanners, and we were surprised to find that the Cobra camera takes only seconds to take pictures of each item; we were initially under the impression that it would take 4 minutes per scan. Though we set out to scan 15 items today, we managed to take care of twice as many within about an hour; this means that we will be able to scan much more than we had originally anticipated. We still have to convert each image to a .png file to store on our webpage, but we may end up doing that once we’ve finished all the scans we need.
We are considering using the NextGen Gallery plugin to organize our scrapbook files. For future reference, we will need to figure out how to link thumbnails to .tiff file.
Here is a test:
This afternoon, Glynnis, Emily, and I met with Jeanette Cadwallender and Florence Barnick, the sisters who commissioned our project. We discussed our ideas with them, and they responded positively; they were excited that someone wanted to take over the project, as they had been the only ones working on it up until now. We were surprised to learn that the sisters had no idea that their mother had been keeping scrapbooks until they found them, and they were happy to know that they are being digitized for public use. We talked a bit about their family and their connection to Fredericksburg, and Florence and Jeanette emphasized that they would like a theme of our site to be about the community impact of their mother’s volunteer work. They provided us with additional resources and told us to feel free to keep in touch; overall, the meeting was a great experience, and I look forward to continuing to work with the sisters.